Body piercing, especially nipples, has been practiced since centuries by general public and royalty alike for aesthetic and sexual pleasure purposes. It has never gone out of style with celebrities such as Neil Patrick Harris, Bella Hadid and Candice Swanepoel to name a few, from Hollywood film fraternity, modeling and music fields flaunting pierced teats all over the internet.
There is no gender specification for getting nipples pierced; however more number of women opt for it than men, and decorate them with jewelry especially captive bead ring or barbell piercings preferably made from surgical and sterile stainless steel for safety and protection from infections. Many people choose diamond studded gold jewelry as per personal interest.
Nipple piercing needs to be done by a professional artist, where one or both nipples are pierced with a body piercing gun or go with old school manual method using sharp stainless steel hypodermic needles. It can be done in different directions such as horizontal, vertical or diagonal depending individual preference; however horizontal is common when compared to others.
In some cases, people go with more than one piercing on one or both teats. Piercing artists sterilize the nipple and hold it in place with pliers before firing gun to make a hole through it.
Important things to know before getting nipple(s) pierced:
- It is a very quick process with varied pain levels as per individual threshold.
- Do not rush into the decision but sit on it for a while, read about it, take suggestions from friends, colleagues and gynecologist before getting the job done.
- This process is going to make holes through the nipple and once done there is no going back.
- It is going to take couple of minutes to get them pierced; however it takes at least an year for them to be completely healed.
- Care should be taken while picking an expert to do the job as any mishaps could lead to severe infections, major diseases and in rare cases death as well.
- Proper aftercare routine is mandatory for at least 3 to 4 months until pain reduces and body adjusts to it.
- Clothes need to be carefully picked as laces and similar materials could pull and rip them apart.
- It is advisable to keep an year gap from pregnancy as nipples could get sore and women may find it difficult to breastfeed due to pain.
- Always use jewelry with less amounts of or free from nickel to avoid further infections and allergies.
- Keep a considerable amount of time gap between multiple piercings to give ample amount of time for healing.
- Visit gynecologist few weeks post piercing and at regular intervals for at least 6 months for ruling out infections. Contact a medical practitioner if severe pain persists for longer periods of time and/or anything feels unusual.
Pleasure or pain, nipple piercing adds uniqueness to one’s personality and feels fantastic as long as get it done once reviewing complete details and absolute aftercare is taken with no compromises at all.